We had a wonderful experience with our 40th Anniversary Quilt Challenge. We loved being able to coordinate such a giving effort on the part of all those who participated. If you don’t know about our first challenge for our 40th Anniversary, you can scroll down the posts to read about it, see the winners and actually see a video of our “quilt show” from 2018.
We have talked to many of our customers who are eager to do another challenge so we have come up with one to celebrate our 41st Anniversary. One of the favorite quilts from last year was given by Linda Humphrey. It was the quilt with the powerful phrases. We all thought of the fortunate child that received that particular quilt and how much it might mean to them in years to come. We wanted more kids to have the opportunity to own such a meaningful quilt. With Linda’s OK to copy her idea, we have printed many of the phrases she used and added more of our own. We might never know the true power of these phrases as a child reads them again and again.
This year all donated quilts will go to CASA of Kerrville. When a child enters the foster care system because their home is no longer safe, a judge may appoint a “Court Appointed Special Advocate”, or CASA, volunteer to advocate for the child’s best interest.
CASA will take charge of the quilts and distribute them to the children under their supervision as well as enable smaller groups such as K’Star and Women’s Job Corp to have quilts for their clients’ children. We are so excited to see your quilts distributed throughout our community.
To be eligible for one of the gift certificates we will be giving away, you will need to purchase our challenge kit. It will include a fat quarter of the word fabric which has nine phrases. The kit also includes 2 coordinating one yard pieces of fabric for inspiration, a pattern that could be used – or not- and a quilt label to sew on your completed quilt. Each kit will have the official entry form that will need to be pinned to the back of the quilt when it is returned. The challenge kit will sell for $18.00.
The first official day to pick up your kit will be Monday, August 27th. If you come by that day, we will also have a complimentary fat quarter for you with purchase of your challenge kit.
We are listing the “official” rules to be eligible for prizes, but any quilt will be accepted and appreciated:
- Finished quilt must be at Creations before the close of business on Monday, March 11th, 2019.
- Quilts will be on display at The Main House Friday and Saturday, March 15th and 16th, 2019
- Prizes will be awarded by Viewer’s Choice votes. One prize per person. Everyone can vote once each day of the show.
- Winners will be notified by phone on Sunday, March 17th.
- All quilts become the property of Creations and will be given to CASA in Kerrville for distribution at their discretion.
- Provide as many quilts as you wish, but each entry eligible for prizes requires the purchase of a “Power of Word” kit.
- Size is your choice, but we suggest no less that 40″ or taller than 80″. With the use of words, we are targeting a bit older child so we think the size should be appropriate. Think of a size such as 40 x 50 or 50 x 70. You choose.
- You can use as many of the words in quilt as you like. If you don’t want to use them on the front, use them on the back. If you want to use more than the 9 phrases that come with the kit, additional digital print fat quarters are available for $6.50. There are different phrases on different fat quarters.
- Each finished quilt turned in before the deadline will receive a discount coupon from Creations for the purchase of up to 3 spools of large Aurifil cotton thread at 40% off retail.
- If you would like to participate, but can’t come pick up your kit, we will be glad to mail it to you at our expense.
- Gift certificates to Creations will be given as follows: First Favorite – $300.00, Second Favorite – $200.00, Third Favorite – $150.00, and Favorites 4-10 will receive a $50.00 gift certificate each. We will also have a $200.00 gift certificate for the individual who donates the most quilts.